Thursday 26 May 2011

Final Drawing Class - What I brought back home...

Last week we had our final Life Drawing class. I gotta say I truly enjoyed the course and I brought back home more than just a bunch of drawings and sketches...I learned a lot about Art, the world around me and myself.

The last class in itself was Pastel Techniques and Charcoal. we also did a bunch of quick sketches: these are a really good way to train the eye and I am considering to do as much of this as possible. Here's my favourite piece from the session along w/ some of my classmate's pieces (mine in the centre):





As I said before, I learned quite a lot about Art itself - New techniques like Wash and new things about Pastels and composition in general. I also learned to work with a model, something I was not too keen on before.

During the course I learned the importance of observation. My attention span has always been really poor and dispersed and forcing myself to observe at the model for a whole minute was a frustrating exercise. My eye wanted to wander, I was thinking about work, distracted by raindrops hitting the window, but I managed to find some focus through the course and by the last session I could really get on-task.

Another thought on observation...every time a model walked in I thought "god, what a get-up" as all the models had this punky-bohemian outfit and weird hairstyle (one of them had  80% of her hair clipped but this long, matted fringe). But as the drawing session progressed I started to pick up gestures, the expression of the eyes and even found "muffin tops" beautiful and fun to draw. I see a lot of perfect breasts in Comics and other media, but I challenge artists out there to draw sagging breasts and hanging bellies: these will make you an artist as they force you to draw the reality of what is in front of you -  not what you imagine or have seen somewhere else. Feet, hands and drapery are really tough...but there is a huge sense of achievement once you pull of something convincing.

A couple of things I learned about myself through the course...First, that I am too impatient; always dashing for the finishing line and stepping all over the details, pretty much like a St. Bernard plowing through a tulip garden. I need to slow down, relax and enjoy the moment a bit more. Second, I learned that I am unconsciously too proud. Looking through the drawings I did in the class, I saw my signature getting bigger and bigger. The last one was almost as big as the sketch. I never thought about it but I suddenly felt really stupid and embarrassed.

A few years ago, I learned in Egyptian Mythology class that in writing, only the names of Pharaohs and Gods get inscribed in cartouches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartouche). I'll keep doing it because I got used to it, but I am definitely no Ra, not even a fully proficient Artist. As an extension of this, maybe the artist's name is not important, just the message and execution of the piece - this is what I should definitely focus on, using everything I learned.

Oh, and Desso: Thanks for the wine and sandwiches ; )





No comments:

Post a Comment